Sunday 23 January 2011

Batik workshop



On Thursday afternoon I took part in a batik workshop that was part of our new brief. I had never heard of batik before so I had no idea what it would look when it was completed. Before starting the process, we discussing health and safety, so that we would avoid getting injured.

I enjoyed the workshop and was impressed with my finished sample, which you can see below.


How I made a batik sample.
  • The first thing that you have to do is to heat up the wax. The wax container needs to be switched on and heated up at least half an hour before you need to start the process. The wax pot had already been switched on for us before we started the workshop.
  • Whist the wax was heating, I drew the pattern I wanted on a piece of paper.
  • Then I chose a fabric. Cotton or silk is preferable. I chose cotton for my first sample.
  • After that, I placed my cotton fabric on top of the pattern that I'd drawn out and then poured hot wax over it.
  • I was very careful not to burn myself on the hot wax.
  • When the wax had dried, I put colour onto the fabric using inks.
  • I then let it dry then took the wax off with hot iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment