Sunday 16 January 2011

Skirt Facing


Last Tuesday during my pattern cutting lesson I made a skirt facing. At first I did not know what a skirt facing was. I thought it looked like a waistband but it was not like a waistband at all. My tutor explained the difference between a facing and a waistband to all of us in the class. Facing is an option, instead of a waistband, to finish off raw edges around the waistline. Here is what I manufactured.

Outside

This is the finished skirt facing sample.




Inside

This shows what would the inside looks like.


Interfacing

The interfacing holds the shape of a garment and gives it structure.


Retaining row

The retaining row prevents the facing from rolling up. I sewed a machine line along the waistline, sewing the facing, interfacing and seam allowances together. I then pressed this flat, turned it inside the skirt and pressed it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment